Monday, June 27, 2011

ToAD - Madison

The day started like each of the days before. Got up and relaxed for a bit before prepping equipment to jump in car and head to Madison. We got there early, like each of the last few days, so I could have time play with the medics. With new bandages applied, we headed out for our warm-up ride. My legs felt pretty good and I was starting to think how I could get another good result to close out the week strong. Unfortunately, those sensations completely vanished once the race was underway. My legs just did not want to cooperate. I hung tough and stayed with the field. I tried to move up the field on the hill a few times; however, I just did not have the legs to stay up there in the front, nor did I want to get taken out on the final day of racing. We had some new riders in our field that were rather sketchy. On the run into the finish, I picked off a bunch of guys and took 28th on the day. Chris fell off the pace of our group fairly early on and finished 43rd. Following the race, I noticed that my front brake (swapped wheels earlier and did not completely check brake clearance, I guess) was rubbing slightly. Good to know that I can ride at 25.4 mph with a slight brake rub, if it was, that is.

It is over! While this was a fantastic experience (nothing more fun than riding my bike), it did have its moments of frustration and pain. I can now say that I have raced my bike 10 days in a row, a new first for me! Now I am spending the next few days trying to get my ripped skin completely healed and recover before I need to get back on the bike. Not planning on riding much again until Wednesday or so. Next race for me is the Wisconsin State Criterium Championships on July 10th.

Recap of equipment that I used throughout the series:
2 bikes
3.5 different wheelsets
3 flat tubular tires
2 derailleurs and hangers on my Cervelo
Lots of bananas, electrolyte drink mix, pb&j sandwiches, energy bars, energy cubes, italian food, cookies, and chocolate milk

Happy Racing!

No comments:

Post a Comment