Friday, June 24, 2011

ToAD - Fond du Lac

As I prepped to head up to Fond du Lac with Chris, I noticed that my front tire on my bontrager had a slow leak. Jamis became the stead of choice for the day. Perhaps I should keep riding the Jamis, because all of my points in this series have come on its back.

After we got there and were checked in, I went to find the medics to get new bandages on my wounds. Once I was all patched up, Chris and I went off on our warm-up ride to loosen up the legs before the race. My rear derailleur was a little off, so I took some time to adjust it while Chris was finishing getting ready. We hit the start line feeling good and both in decent position. I was sitting right behind the beast Captain Crowe. As the race went on, Chris and I floated near the back of the field. I learned fairly early in the race that I could power up to the front pretty much at will; however, I did not want to spend a whole lot of time up there. I opted to stay near the back so I could ride my own lines and avoid twitchy people. Unfortunately, at about the halfway point in the race, my water bottle bounced out of the cage. Thankfully, it was not overly warm today, so liquid was not as necessary. A few laps later, Chris found me to let me get a drink before I made my final drive up to the front. I got myself up to the front and held my position for the rest of the race. I entered the final turn in about 12th wheel and raced past a few guys to get barely nipped by the overall leader at the line. If I would have had another 50m, I would have easily taken him, but just ran out of real estate. Oh well. I am learning more about positioning in the field with each race and coming on strong with the final two days left in ToAD.

For those interested, the overall average today was 25.9 mph. I took 10th and Chris took 30th. Finally, our luck is turning around!



Tomorrow, we will be at Downer Ave in Milwaukee racing at approximately 12:30. Come out and watch the spectacle!

Happy Racing

No comments:

Post a Comment